Alicia Estrada started Stop Staring! in 1997 to create original vintage inspired dresses and RTW that empower women by embracing and celebrating their female form. Almost 15-years later the designer and CEO has seen her wears featured in magazines like Vogue and Allure and on celebs including Kim Kardashian and Tara Reid. See what the mom-to-be had to say below to the NewNowNext 19 questions.
1. What are you wearing?
I’m wearing a long black maxi dress(maternity dress, I’m 4 months along and its my first baby ever), inspired by the 1940s, and designed by me. I’m also wearing vintage gold Chanel jewelry to match: stunning gold and black watch, gold coin bracelet, gold clip “CC” earrings. I love Chanel.
2. What do you do in a typical day?
Since I’m the CEO, and Designer of Stop Staring!, my day is full with a variety of work: I read emails, design dresses for my fall collection, work through countless fittings to make sure dresses fit great, I have meetings with all teams: production, design, retail, wholesale, I work on press: interviews, celebs, stylist etc, I work on sales and marketing plans daily, and meet with my husband the CFO to go over finances.
3. What book/movie/TV show are you really into right now?
Book: The Wisdom Leadership of Jesus
Movie: W.E. I love the wardrobe on this movie
TV show: Housewives of OC and Bev Hills many of these housewives actually wear Stop Staring! on the show!
4. What’s a trend you wish would die?
The 80s fashion trend of making huge oversized shoulder pads. I love the forties, but this went way to far!
5. What do you order for brunch?
I love Eggs Benedict, and a great cup of coffee.
6. Who should we follow on Twitter that we’re (probably) not?
Of course “Stop Staring!”, but also check out Caro Emerald (@caroemerald), great music, and great style!
7. What song or band has most affected or influenced you?
No Doubt, No Doubt! They have a song called “Staring Problem”, I think Gwen might have written this about me?
8. What project are you obsessed with right now?
I’m obsessed with decorating my baby room with the “Noahs Ark” theme, I’m having a boy, and I love all things baby right now! You never know, I could start a toddler clothing line.
9. What would be the title of your memoir?
Stare at this!
10. What’s your hangover cure?
I rarely drink ever. Hmmm?
11. What fictional character do you most identify with?
Mildred Pierce, played by Joan Crawford. I think she was fictional, hmm?
12. What was the best vacation meal you’ve ever had?
Tropical Coconut/Pineapple Pancakes in Hawaii.
13. What’s your favorite solo outing?
Walking my dog in my neighborhood, I have many famous neighbors like the drummer of No Doubt!
14. What’s your favorite bar in another city?
Observation Bar-Art Deco Lounge on Queen Mary in Long Beach CA.
15. What luxury do you think should be included in plane travel to make it more fun?
Comfy beds to sleep on.
16. What’s your biggest vice?
Eating dessert, I can never get enough!
17. What movie will you always watch to the end when it’s on TV?
The Notebook. Stop Staring! Dresses are featured in this movie!
18. Who’s your Spirit Animal?
I think a black panther, I just dreamt about this the other day.
19. What’s the first thing you think of when you see this?
So cute and so adorable, can’t wait for my baby boy!