Name: Andrew Jeffrey Wright
Twitter Handle: @ajw4ever
Few people can put both visual artist and comedian on their resumes, but Philadelphia-based Andrew Jeffrey Wright can. He’s spent years honing his skills as a stellar visual artist and screenprinter, but recently he’s taken his wry humor and wit to performance. Wright is one half of the comedy duo New Dreamz, and they’ve performed with the likes of Fred Armisen and Neil Hamburger.
As a visual artist, Wright’s no slouch, either. He’s had shows in Tokyo, San Francisco, New York and beyond. Check out our interview with him — and some of his artwork below.
1. What are you wearing?
RVCA Kevin “Spanky” Long blue jeans. A Garfield “LIVING FOR THE WEEKEND” t-shirt. Bikini underwear by Body Glove. All black, low top, Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars. Socks.
2. What do you do in a typical day?
Think. Draw. Write. Email. Facebook. Twitter. Eat. Think more. Write more.
3. What book/movie/TV show are you really into right now?
The TV show Jon Benjamin Has A Van.
4. What’s a trend you wish would die? Plastic surgery lip jobs. And plastic surgery cheek implants.
5. What do you order for brunch? Brunch? What do I look like a millionaire? I don’t eat brunch.
6. Who should we follow on Twitter that we’re (probably) not? Malwina, who tweets at @iwishiwasdead
7. What song or band has most affected or influenced you? The Zombies
8. What project are you obsessed with right now? My performance and video project with Rose Luardo called The New Dreamz.
9. What do you think is the best reality show? I don’t watch enough of reality TV to be an expert on it. I’m sure there are some really good shows out there. Out of the ones I watch, Hoarders, Storage Wars, American Pickers and DogTown, I would say DogTown is the best. It is about the dogs at a no kill shelter in Utah.
10. What’s your hangover cure? I have never been a drinker so I have never been hungover. Yet.
11. What fictional character do you most identify with? Donald Dump
12. What was the best vacation meal you’ve ever had? I think it was a vegan burrito I had in Cincinnati at a restaurant that I can’t remember the name of back in 2005.
13. What’s your favorite solo outing? The cinema.
14. What’s your favorite bar in another city? Barramundi in Manhattan.
15. What luxury do you think should be included in plane travel to make it more fun? A “No Eating Nuts And Then Farting” section.
16. What’s your biggest vice? Chocolate
17. What movie will you always watch to the end when it’s on TV? The Jerk
18. Who’s your Spirit Animal? The sparrow
19. What’s the first thing you think of when you see this?