Ann Yee spent years designing sweaters for clients including Barney’s, Elizabeth and James and Alice + Olivia after her graduation from Philadelphia College of Textiles & Science before taking the leap and going solo in 2010. Now the designer has become known for her architectural pieces that manage to be both feminine and masculine. She recently took the time to answer our 19 questions.
Name: Ann Yee
Location: New York, NY
Twitter Handle: @ayeecollection
1. What are you wearing?
A vintage cut-off chambray button-up paired with the AY DAVIS sheer printed skirt from Spring
2. What do you do in a typical day?
Wake up, make french press coffee, check emails, hustle in the garment center, and always end the day with a nice dinner.
3. What book/movie/TV show are you really into right now?
Lately, I seem to have Don’t Tell Mom the Babysitter’s Dead playing on my laptop as background noise while I work. It’s a good one. Thank you HBO GO.
4. What’s a trend you wish would die?
I know it never will, but Reality TV
5. What do you order for brunch?
Huevos Rancheros is my all time fave…I’m notorious for mixing savory and sweet so a side of pancakes or French toast for the table is usually ordered as well!
6. Who should we follow on Twitter that we’re (probably) not?
@geometricsleep – she’s hilarious, witty, and our awesome stylist
7. What song or band has most affected or influenced you?
BUSH, the album Sixteen Stone — my first concert ever and my first rockstar crush. It was a downward spiral from there.
8. What project are you obsessed with right now?
Developing my Spring/Summer 13 collection, get ready for some COLOR
9. What would be the title of your memoir?
Raised In A Chinese Restaurant
10. What’s your hangover cure?
I don’t really drink, but I imagine it would be something along the lines of an Egg McMuffin with hot sauce.
11. What fictional character do you most identify with?
12. What was the best vacation meal you’ve ever had?
There have been so many…but afternoon tea at the Peninsula in Hong Kong is always perfection.
13. What’s your favorite solo outing?
Going to the movies.
14. What’s your favorite bar in another city?
King’s Hardware in the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle is pretty cool. They have skee ball — what more do you need.
15. What luxury do you think should be included in plane travel to make it more fun?
16. What’s your biggest vice?
Fried food and the Salvation Army
17. What movie will you always watch to the end when it’s on TV?
Coming to America
18. Who’s your Spirit Animal?
19. What’s the first thing you think of when you see this?
Definitely needs more strategically placed Swarovski crystals. I kind of prefer Britney’s go at this back in the day….