Name: Mera Anwar
Location: New York / Washington D.C
Twitter Handle: @mirinyc
Pakistan-born designer Mera Anwar launched Miri just two short years ago, during New York Fashion Week, and has been going nonstop ever since. But though her collection is fairly new, she’s got a long history in fashion, getting in the couture houses of Paris and then attending the Parsons School of Design. She cut her teeth at John Galliano, Gian Franco Ferre, Malo, Kara Ross and J. Crew before going solo. For her own collection, Mera pulls from her East Asian roots, but also isn’t afraid to create clothes that push the boundaries — hems are shorter and flirtier, colors are brighter and boundaries are pushed.
J Brand Cropped Skinnies in Black with a Cotton Button Down from MIRI Spring Summer 2012.
2. What do you do in a typical day?
Everyday is different. I wear many hats throughout the day. My mornings usually start with tea as I check my emails. Then I usually answer any production questions as they are very time sensitive. My afternoon is usually taken up by PR and showroom activities and more emails. I take a break from 5-7 for dinner and time for my family. My evening is spent designing/sketching. I end my day with tv in bed.
3. What book/movie/TV show are you really into right now?
Fox’s The New Girl is my new guilty pleasure, the humor is surprisingly witty.
4. What’s a trend you wish would die?
Doc Martens in the summer. Unnecessary!
5. What do you order for brunch?
French Toast and mixed berries.
6. Who should we follow on Twitter that we’re (probably) not?
@jimshi809 If CNN/BBC had a fashion segment if would be his twitter.
7. What song or band has most affected or influenced you?
Radiohead. Thom Yorke just never ceases to amaze me.
8. What project are you obsessed with right now?
Eyelet on fabrics! SS13 will have tons of eyelet fabrics designed by yours truly.
9. What would be the title of your memoir?
Je Ne Sais Quoi
10. What’s your hangover cure?
I don’t drink, but hydration is key! I drink a bottle of Smartwater a day.
11. What fictional character do you most identify with?
I have no clue!
12. What was the best vacation meal you’ve ever had?
Gelato in Rome, which usually is my meals while I am there.
13. What’s your favorite solo outing?
Heading to a local coffee shop.
14. What’s your favorite bar in another city?
Any bar in St. Germain, Pairs.
15. What luxury do you think should be included in plane travel to make it more fun?
Live music! Anything to keep me from sleeping.
16. What’s your biggest vice?
Carbs, fro-yo, and shoe shopping…
17. What movie will you always watch to the end when it’s on TV?
18. Who’s your Spirit Animal?
The color of Kate’s dress. I kinda love it.