Everyone’s favorite absurdist, funhouse-mirror take on show business wrapped last week, and the occasion gave 30 Rock star and creator Tina Fey the opportunity to bid a fond and funny farewell to the cast and crew of the quirky NBC sitcom.
In the speech, which moved many in the room to laughter and tears, Fey noted that the main difference between herself and her character, Liz Lemon, is that Liz Lemon works with jerks, while she got to work with wonderful people. Aww.
The text of her speech hasn’t been made available, but here are some of the things we’d have liked to see as Tiny Fey closed out 30 Rock in style:
- Obscure references to Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, To Kill A Mockingbird, Laverne & Shirley, The Munsters, The Smurfs, Space Ghost Coast To Coast, Vera Drake…
- At least three “blerg”s
- A cameo appearance by Rachel Dratch
- A couple of digs at how terrible NBC is
- Three words: Leap Dave Williams
- Sing-a-long to Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
- In a meta twist, the whole closing speech is actually a tongue-in-cheek parody of closing speeches.
We’re sad to see Liz Lemon go, but with her hosting the Golden Globes, starring in the upcoming film Admission, and potentially making more guest appearances on SNL, we’ll have plenty of ways to get our Tina Fey fix in the weeks ahead.