Denver is a town that has well earned its nickname as “Queen City of the Plains.” It’s the kind of city that’s high on our list of domestic destinations and not just because they sit at over 5000 feet and have decriminalized marijuana (although apparently the latter does help, as you’ll see). Denver knows how to sashay and shantay, and there are at least 7 events taking place there between now and ski season to prove it.
1) Colorado Gay Rodeo (July 13-15)
— Team roping, bull-riding and flag racing. Sounds gay already and we haven’t even mentioned the steer decorating, goat dressing and wild drag racing.
2) 2nd Annual Denver County Fair (August 10-12)
perhaps because it is so new, this fair is rather hipster with a Geek Pavilion and contests for the fastest texture, best chicken impersonator and best Frida Kahlo unibrow.
3)Retro Run (August 26)
– If only there could be a 1980′s themed 5K race every weekend, then, maybe, we’d be in shape. To boot, they pipe 80′s music along the route and there’s prizes for best costume and that also includes for your dog.
4) New Belgium Tour de Fat (September 8 )
– Ok, so this beer sponsored costumed bicycle parade may travel the country, but the citizens of Denver have a knack for taking it to the next level. Also, it benefits bicycles. Cool.
5) Denver Cruisers (Every Wednesday from now ’til September 26)
– Thematically dressed bikers (in anything from “vices & virtues”, “pirates & nymphs”, and “celebrities”) engage in a two-wheeled bar crawl. Safe? Maybe not. Sassy? Indeed.
6) Denver Zombie Crawl (October 20)
– They’re gunning to make this the largest gathering of zombies in the history of mankind! Sounds fun as do the major afterparites.
7) Denver Gorilla Run (October 27)
– Denver residents apparently own a lot of gorilla suits, as at least 1,200 who donned theirs – with modifications – for the Denver Gorilla Run last year. The event raises money for the Mountain Gorilla Conservation Fund.