Upfront season is here, the time of year we learn about all the very good and very bad things we can expect this fall on our televisions. The good things so far? Happy Endings landed an awesome timeslot after Dancing With the Stars, 30 Rock and Parks & Recreation are returning and Ryan Murphy scored a third show, this time a comedy.
So, in keeping positive about the upcoming fall programs, here is a look at the five ladies we are most excited to see come September. From a pop star turned reality star to the greatest TV mom of all time.
- Mindy Kaling – Kelly Kapoor is leaving The Office and finally getting a chance to be a leading lady. We are pretty sure the show is called The Mindy Project, but the name seems to be changing rather frequently so it may be something completely different by the time you read this post. Mindy will be playing a gynecologist (her mom is one in real life), dealing with life, love and work. Sounds dumb but it’s not because Kaling is an incredibly funny writer and, better than that, an amazingly gifted comedic actress. This has been the most buzzed about comedy during upfronts and the show is getting a slot right after the very popular and very similar New Girl. Go Mindy!
- Megan Good — Thanks to Revenge we can expect a few soapy drama series come fall, and the best of the bunch looks to be Infamous starring the gorgeous Meagan Good. Meagan will play a female detective who returns to the family she grew up with as her mother worked as a housekeeper to solve a murder mystery. People may talk about Emily-VanCamp‘s bitch face on Revenge as if it is the best thing on TV, but anyone who saw Meagan in Eve’s Bayou knows she can be just as scary and chilling with one glance.
- Ellen Barkin — Here is that Ryan Murphy comedy The New Normal where Miss Barkin gets to cut loose as a racist and homophobic grandmother. A very gorgeous racist and homophobic grandmother. She plays the grandmother to a young woman who has decided to carry a baby for a gay couple she does not know and if the brief preview released by NBC is any indication we should all get ready for some terrific back-and-forths between Ellen and costar Nene Leakes. Yes, that Nene Leakes.
- Connie Britton — Yes we would have preferred Connie played Tami Taylor for the rest of her life, but since Friday Night Lights ended she has stayed very busy on the television front. Last season it was American Horror Story and now it is Nashville, another soapy drama in which Connie plays a country legend who is at her peak but has another younger star nipping at her heels. It’s kind of like Country Strong minus the whole annoying Gwyneth Paltrow thing.
- Britney Spears — It is safe to say that all of America will be watching the first few episodes of The X-Factor.
Photo Credits: FOX, NBC (2), Getty Images (2)