All Charges Dropped Against Jussie Smollett

The actor was facing disorderly conduct charges after filing a police report claiming he was attacked by Trump supporters.

Cook County prosecutors have dropped all charges against Jussie Smollett, who had been accused of staging his own attack and filing a false police report that claimed he was attacked by two Trump supporters.

The former Empire actor was facing 16 disorderly conduct charges, after two brothers said they regretted helping Smollett stage the attack. Smollett said he was assaulted, called anti-gay and racist slurs, had bleach poured on him, and a noose placed around his neck.

jussie smollett
Nuccio DiNuzzo/Getty Images

His lawyers, Tina Glandian and Patricia Brown Holmes, released the following statement:

Today, all criminal charges against Jussie Smollett were dropped and his record has been wiped clean of the filing of this tragic complaint against him. Jussie was attacked by two people he was unable to identify on January 29th. He was a victim who was vilified and made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of false and inappropriate remarks made to the public causing an inappropriate rush to judgement.

Jussie and many others were hurt by these unfair and unwarranted actions. This entire situation is a reminder that there should never be an attempt to prove a case in the court of public opinion. That is wrong. It is a reminder that a victim, in this case Jussie, deserves dignity and respect. Dismissal of charges against the victim in this case was the only just result.

Jussie is relieved to have this situation behind him and is very much looking forward to getting back to focusing on his family, friends and career.

Prosecutors also released a statement today (March 26), calling the resolution “just” and “appropriate” with all the circumstances taken into consideration.

“After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollett’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case,” they said.

Fox, on the other hand, which dropped Smollett from Empire, did not wish to make a public comment.

“Many of you have reached out regarding today’s developments in the Jussie Smollett case. As of this time, the studio and network have no comment. I will of course let you know if that changes,” a spokesperson told CNN.

Journalist, editor, and artist.