Finally, a movie-based musical that we can get behind. You can keep your Sister Shrek: Turn Off the Green or whatever, because there may be a Mean Girls musical coming soon. Writer, star and all-around comedy machine Tina Fey is in talks to bring her beloved teen comedy to theaters. ”I’m trying to develop it with my husband, who does all the music for 30 Rock,” she said, “and I think Paramount’s onboard.” Addressing a recent American Idol feud, Fey also noted that Mariah Carey could maybe play Amy Poehler’s character in the musical adaption. We love it. Here are 5 moments we’d like to see in a Mean Girls musical.
1. That scene when all the kids at the mall act like jungle animals is done in full Lion King costume.
2. At some point, a lyric that rhymes “fetch,” with “you’re such a betch.”
3. Full “Santa Baby” musical number, complete with sexy Santa outfits.
4. Sad, sweet, show-stopping ballad from the “I just have a lot of feelings” girl.
5. Tim Meadows reprises his role as principal. Let’s face it, he probably doesn’t have a whole lot going on right now. We look forward to seeing him in the Glendale, MA regional theater production as well.