YouTube
TV

Raven-Symone, Clay Aiken, Survey North Carolinians About State’s “Bathroom Bill”

"It's a brand new conversation."

Clay Aiken joined the ladies of The View this week to discuss his home state’s House Bill 2, known as the “Bathroom Bill.” The law forces people to use the bathroom that corresponds to the gender on their driver’s license, not the gender they identify with.

In a special segment on the morning talk show, Aiken and Raven-Symone traveled to North Carolina to talk with locals about their feelings on the controversial law that has brought so much negative press to the Tar Heel State.

“About 70 percent of the people we spoke to opposed the law saying that transgender people should have the same right as everyone else,” said Symone as she introduced the clip. “But the other 30 percent, however, supported the law, or had concerns about sharing the bathroom with transgender people.”

Aiken and Symone continued the conversation about HB2 by interviewing two transgender people living in North Carolina: Madeline Gross, a transgender woman who must use the men’s room and Skye Thomson, a transgender man who “admits with the new law he tries to avoid going to the bathroom because it makes him uncomfortable and he feels de-humanized.”

“It’s just an unfortunate reality that the day we live in, people are uncomfortable with the way we are,” said Goss. “That’s why it’s really important for people to understand we’re just trying to live our lives. We’re not asking for special treatment. We just want to be able to go about our everyday lives, just like you and Raven.”

Watch their interview below:

h/t: Towleroad

I write about drag queens. Dolly Parton once ruffled my hair and said I was "just the cutest thing ever."
@chrisreindeer