Jane Fonda just landed the role of Nancy Reagan in Precious director Lee Daniels’ new film, The Butler. The project tells the story of a White House butler who started in 1952 with Truman and worked until 1986, when Reagan was president. So with Jane on board as Nancy, and other actors including John Cusack as Richard Nixon and Liam Neeson as Lyndon B. Johnson soon to be signed, who should play Ronald?
Here are our five picks for the men we think could tackle the actor turned politician.
- Harrison Ford — Harry has got that good looking older guy thing down pat and he seems to have time in his schedule for the role, which will no doubt be relatively minor. Plus wouldn’t it be great to see a movie where Harrison actually has to be with a woman who is his age?
- Michael Douglas — Michael has the perfect politician hair and Catherine Zeta Jones is pretty much the First Lady of Hollywood so this role would be a breeze for the actor. This assuming it down not cause a conflict with his upcoming role as Liberace in a new HBO movie.
- Christopher Plummer — The actor is fresh off his Oscar win and a role in the hugely popular Girl With the Dragon Tattoo meaning he couldn’t be any hotter, even at the age of 82. Darken up that white hair and he is good to go.
- Russell Crowe — If you take a look at old photos of Ronald, he looks exactly like a Russell. So just get some prosthetics and a vocal coach and boom, instant Reagan.
- Donald Sutherland — Donald and Jane used to date back in the day so wouldn’t this be a great reunion? Also, maybe the actor could bring in some of The Hunger Games audience, something the studio would no doubt love.
Jane Fonda to play Nancy Reagan in ‘Butler’ [Variety]