Kevin Hart Says He Won’t Host Oscars, Is “Over It”

Rumors that he would return to the hosting gig followed an interview with Ellen DeGeneres, who encouraged him to reconsider.

Kevin Hart has made it clear that he will not host the Oscars.

Hart stepped down from hosting the event, which will take place next month, following a backlash to homophobic tweets and jokes he made in the past, including using anti-gay slurs and suggesting he’d get violent with his son if he showed effeminate traits, compounded by an initial failure to issue a full-throated apology.

kevin hart michael strahan
Paula Lobo/ABC via Getty Images

The comedian appeared on Good Morning America Wednesday morning and gave an unequivocal “no” when asked by host Michael Strahan if he would host the event, in light of some pushing for him to retract his decision to pull out.

Hart recently appeared on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, where she encouraged him to reconsider, and revealed she had been in talks with the Academy to bring him back, and he seemed at that point to be considering it.

“I’m over it,” he told Strahan. “There’s no more conversation about it. I’m over that, I’m over the moment. I’m not giving no more explanation of who I am…I’m just done. If you didn’t [hear the apology], then I don’t know what you’re looking for.”

“I love to love. If you don’t see that, then that means it’s a problem with you. I have nothing else to prove,” he added.

During a recent episode of his Sirius XM radio show, Hart apologized to the LGBTQ community, he said he didn’t want to be an ally. The comment drew criticism from CNN’s Don Lemon, who encouraged him to “change minds and save lives.”

Meanwhile, sources have told Variety the show will be hosted by a number of A-list celebrities, instead of imploying the traditional single host format.

Journalist, editor, and artist.